Exciting News! The Texas Legislature passed a new law, which took effect on Jan 1, 2022 permitting buyers to file for homestead exemptions in the same year they purchase their new homes. Previously, homeowners had to wait unit the next year to file for the exemption. This is an update for 2022 Texas Homestead Exemption.
How Does the Exemption Benefit Homebuyers?
- Homestead exemption protect a portion of their home’s value from taxation, lowering their taxes.
- Additional exemptions are available for owners aged 65 or older or who are disabled.
- To qualify, the homeowner must be an individual, not a business, and use the home as their primary residence.
- Homeowners must submit an Application for Residential Homestead Exemption and supporting documentation to the appraisal district in the county where the property is located.
- Other exemptions may also be offered from cities and special districts.
Visit the Texas Comptroller’s Residence Homestead Exemptions FAQ site: www.comptroller.texas.gov
If you have any questions regarding the update for 2022 Texas Homestead Exemption please feel free to reach out to Mindy, our buyer specialist or myself!
Beth Brake REALTOR® 214-769-2947
Mindy Short REALTOR® Buyer Specialist 214-674-8004
Positively impacting your life as you move toward your dreams.